The Grist Mill
was the third of three mills built by Nicholas Newlin's family. Built in
1704 by Nathaniel, it was owned by the Newlin family until 1817. It operated
commercially until 1941. In 1958, the mill was purchased by E. Mortimer
Newlin, ninth generation descendant of Nicholas Newlin. Restoration then
The mill is water powered, borrowing water from
the creek via the mill race, and returning it underground in the tail race.
Through a series of gears, the power of the water is transmitted from the
water wheel to an upright shaft which supports and turns the grinding stone.
During its history, the mill ground wheat, corn, oats, buckwheat, and rye.
Today, corn is ground into cornmeal which can be purchased in the office.
The Newlin Grist Mill was placed in the National Register
of Historic Places on March 9, 1983. The mill is funded in part by a General
Operating Support Grant from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.